A couple of months ago, Duncan Reid and the Big Heads released their very highly recommended 3rd album, "Bombs away". This is without any doubt their best record so far. Due to their relentless touring all over Europe (except in Belgium ha ha ha) the Big Heads are tighter than ever and deliver as they put it themselves "Fourteen catchy little ditties about life, death, paranoia and Viagra".
Beside Duncan Reid himself on Vocals, bass, guitar and keyboards, the Big Heads are featuring
Sophie K Powers: guitar - Mauro Venegas: guitar, backing vocals and Karen Jones: drums, backing vocals.
This blog had a very interesting chat with the man himself:
After The Boys disbanded in the early eighties I largely gave up music and ignored it. I went back to college and got myself an engineering degree while I worked out what I was going to do with my life. I couldn't stay away from entertainment though and ended up working for Andrew Lloyd Webber putting on musicals around the world and sorting out film deals and stuff. I then helped run Nottingham Forest (the football team) for a bit before moving back to London to finance films, TV programmes and music festivals. All that time people were asking The Boys to reform but myself and Matt Dangerfield weren't interested until an offer came in from Japan. Too good to turn down so we played Japan, really enjoyed it and I had a further 11 years with The Boys touring the world and having a great time before I decided to leave and see what I could do on my own in about 2011/2012
2) What is your favorite topic/topic that comes easily when you write a new song?
Me and my life. I think it's the most common topic for songwriters to write about. After all, what is the one subject that most of us know the most about? It's ourselves and what we live through and feel.
3) About your latest full length, "Duncan Reid And The Big Heads – Bombs Away" what can you tell about the recording process? Was this a live in the studio recording or a track by track recording with lots of overdubs?
We started with the drums and built the tracks up one instrument at a time. The vocals and keyboards I recorded at home on a computer and emailed them across to the studio.
4) To what kind of music did you listen to as a teenager and does it still influence your today work? What was your favorite band as a teenager? Name 3 bands that you consider still have a influence on your own work today.
As a thirteen year old I listened to a load of rubbish. The early 70's had a lot of terrible bands that punk tried to sweep away. But mixed in there I listened to Slade, T Rex, David Bowie, Roxy Music, Status Quo etc which I also loved. Those bands still influence me big time. There wasn't one single band that I loved above all others. Maybe The Ramones but I'd hate to be stuck just listening to one band. The 3 bands that have the biggest influence on me are probably The Ramones, The Beach Boys and The Beatles.
5) Are you the main composer in The Big Heads or is everybody involved to a certain extend?
I am the main composer although I'm trying more to write with other people. Doesn't seem to happen though.
6) Do you have a video on youtube featuring a track from the latest release?
There are a few.
7) What can concert goers expect at a Duncan Reid And The Big Heads gig? Are you playing any famous cover songs?
People can expect a high energy, entertaining show, with great songs played by beautiful, superb musicians! We play loads of Big Heads songs, a few Boys classics and the odd covers like Blitzkrieg Bop that we've never played before or rehearsed!
8) When you perform with The Big Heads, is it possible that you will play an impromptu version of a song from one of your previous bands? (I guess you must know what band most people are referring to.
See above. Yes. I love to play "First Time" and a few others
9) What are the plans for the rest of 2017 as far as The Big Heads are concerned? Are you guys planning to tour Europe soon?
We tour constantly. We are playing in Germany in October and November. We must get to Belgium for the first time!
10) Anything you would like to say to the viewers of this blog?
Check us out. It's the best thing you can do with your life!
Do yourself a favor, this is money well spent
PURCHASE IT HERE: https://duncanreidandthebigheads.bandcamp.com/album/bombs-away